July 10, 2007

get ready to be impressed!

So I am 22 weeks tomorrow, and as most of you know I have seen more 22 week babies born than anyone ever should. So at this point in my pregnancy Im on this edge between feeling safe and feeling freaked about the decisions I would be forced to make over the next couple weeks if something happened. Im sure thats not really natural for a normal person, but this NICU nurse inside me is a bit of a freak... anyway as dorky as it is I always feel better when I check in on the weekly updates and pictures of what my baby looks like and what its doing at this stage.... so I thought I would share how developed this little girl is with you!

This is from babycenter.com..... check it out for weekly updates if you are preggo...

Your baby now looks like a miniature newborn, checking in at 10.9 inches and almost 1 pound. Her skin will continue to appear wrinkled until she gains enough weight to fill it out, and the fine hair (lanugo) that covers her head and body is now visible. Her lips are becoming more distinct, and the first signs of teeth are appearing as buds beneath her gum line. Her eyes are developed, though the iris (the colored part of the eye) still lacks pigment. Eyelids and eyebrows are in place, and her pancreas, essential for hormone production, is developing steadily.

Well from what I have seen, she looks more like an alien than a newborn, but I guess if I wanted to be sweet I could say she looks like a newborn. There are some hospitals which are attempting to save 22 week babies now, as far as I know only one has survived and they arent sure of her long term issues, but medicine is advancing every day both for the good and the bad, so we shall see what we are doing in the NICU in 5 years! So much has already changed in the 6 years I have been working in the unit.

On another note, little baby Sanders I believe has learned to punch this week, as the kicks are still in the same spot but she is jabbing me up higher as well. She is still breech at this point since apparantly she didnt want to spend 9 months upside down, but the doctors are sure she will turn when she needs to! Hopefully they are right!

2 comments:

Anonymous 6:58 PM  

You are not crazy for having uneasy feelings at this point. I was so nervous until I was about 29 weeks. From one NICU nurse to another, you will get through it. This blog is so cute, but I have decided you have to much time on your hands, if you can make this site so cute. don't worry that will all change soon :) Olivia is banging on the screen right now trying to help me type this :)

Anonymous 10:21 AM  

Megan,
I took the time and read your blog. I'm not doing anything these days. :)
I'm so excited for you. I love your nursery ideas.
Congratulations on your now 23 weeker.
-Jessica

  © Blogger template 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP